The Massachusetts Commission for the Blind (MCB) is seeking a mission-driven rehabilitation individual to serve as a Certified Orientation and Mobility Specialist (COMS). Orientation and Mobility (O&M) training supports individuals who are legally blind to navigate safely and independently within their home, workplace, and community. This position travels at least 3 days per week to provide services as assigned within the metro-west region as well as south shore areas in Massachusetts.
- COMS certification from Academy for Certification of Vision Rehabilitation & Education Professionals (ACVREP).
- Knowledge of the principles, techniques and methods of case management.
- Knowledge of the psychological, social, educational and health issues facing MCB consumers.
- Ability to communicate effectively with and provide supportive counseling to consumers and their families/support network.
- Ability to serve diverse populations and familiarity with secondary disabilities in addition to blindness.
- Ability to handle confidential information with an understanding of diversity and the importance of fostering an open and respectful work environment.
- Capacity to learn and apply agency policies and procedures including fiscal guidelines for purchasing services for consumers.