The Conklin Center for the Blind is seeking a Director of Independent Living to lead the Independent Living and Residence teams in a senior leadership position. The Director of Independent Living will report directly to the President & CEO and work closely with the Director of Case Management, Director of Orientation and Mobility, as well as supervisors and staff from each division to provide exemplary services cross-functionally to support the mission of the Center.
Since 1979 the Conklin Center’s mission has been to help adults who are blind or low vision with additional disabilities become independent and contributing citizens. Our graduates become employed, live in homes of their own choosing and continue their education. Our services include: Independent Living, Financial Literacy, Employment, Assistive Technology, and Orientation & Mobility. We are seeking an experienced vocational professional who shares our passion for providing services to our clients.
Analysis and Program Development:
• Develop and implement personalized Independent Living and Residence training program for each student, following the MyLife curriculum.
• Continuously research new teaching strategies, instructional techniques, products, aides, devices, technology equipment, appliances, low vision aides, etc.
• Coordinate the National DeafBlind Equipment Distribution Program to provide technology for students who are DeafBlind.
• Provide personalized instruction targeted to the specific needs of individuals who have multiple disabilities and who are DeafBlind.
• Customize/Personalize training program to meet the individual needs of each student to achieve independence.
• Identify personalized accommodations to increase level of independence.
• Complete Functional Vision and Learning media assessments, as needed.
• Effectively document progress including goals and objectives, with measurable outcomes.
• Respect the privacy and confidentiality of all students.
• Promote a safe and secure living and learning environment.
• Commit to and implement the principles of andragogy instruction.
• Participate in all meetings, conferences, EEP/EMP planning, program reviews, exit, and transition
• Lead weekly Independent Living Division meeting to discuss upcoming events and to collaborate with team members.
• Facilitate communication/collaboration with other Divisions.
• Participate in community outreach to promote the mission of the Conklin Center.
• Supervise Independent Living instructors and Instructional Aides.
• Complete Initial evaluation, Extended Evaluation, training program evaluation.
• Participate in the development of a thorough Transition Plan from Independent Living Division to Supported Living Division.
• Medical Benefit (100% for employee)
• Dental Benefit (100% for employee)
• Vision Benefit (100% for employee)
• Employer paid Life and AD&D Benefit.
• Employer paid 401K, 3% with no match required.
• Generous Paid Time Off
• Team Environment
Must have job references upon request and able to pass background check
We are committed to providing equal opportunity in all of our employment practices, including selection, hiring, promotion, transfer, and compensation, to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, marital status, gender identity or expression, or sexual orientation, disability or any other protected status in accordance with the requirements of all federal, state and local laws.
• Bachelor’s degree in rehabilitation, or a related field and a good understanding of adaptive technology required.
• Master’s degree in related field preferred.
• Certified or currently seeking certification through Academy for Certification of Vision Rehabilitation & Education Professional (ACVREP) as a Certified Vision Rehabilitation Therapist (CVRT).
• Experience (3-5 years) in the field preferred.
• Proven track record in analysis and program development
• Knowledge and experience working with people with blindness and disabilities.
• Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills.