Industries of the Blind: Industries of the Blind, Inc (IOB) is a 501c(3) not-for-profit organization headquartered in Greensboro, NC whose Mission is to provide opportunities for employment and personal development for people who are blind or visually impaired to achieve greater independence. IOB has grown over the last 85 years to employ more than 260 people, 150+ whom are blind. IOB is a self-sustaining organization, meaning that we support our non-profit business and our employees with the products we manufacture and services we provide. IOB manufactures textiles, assembles office supplies and janitorial products, and provides 3rd party distribution services. IOB’s customers include the US government, the military, and commercial businesses.
Summary of Position: To provide orientation and safe independent travel skills at an appropriate level for visually impaired employees. To orient and train IOB staff to support employee’s orientation and mobility training.
• Conduct Indoor/Outdoor evaluations and create concise reports.
• Provide appropriate individualized instruction to each employee based on their specific needs and abilities.
• Evaluate individual employees for cane use requirements and provide documentation specific to their abilities
• Develop lesson plans and schedules that meet the goals of each employee.
• Make recommendations for training needed to meet individual goals.
• Provide blind/low vision sensitivity training to sighed employees and human guide training.
• Ability to teach techniques to utilize appropriate low vision devices necessary for orientation or travel.
• Advise employees on the impact of vision changes on safe travel.
• Create and teach tactile and google maps on phones.
• Establish open, frequent communication with all related service staff and professionals within the community.
• Establish and maintain a positive atmosphere with staff to encourage and provide support for employees in mobility training.
• Requires general knowledge of independent living skills and adaptive technology skills generally available to employees.
• Maintain accurate and confidential records on all evaluations and instruction provided.
• Serve as a member of the Safety Committee to ensure safe evacuation training and implementation.
• Order and facilitate the purchase of canes, mobility accessories and adaptive devices for blind employees.
• Participate in the interview process of potential new hires.
• Participate in the onboarding of new hires to provide orientation to the building and human guide & sensitivity training
• Perform these and other related duties as requested.
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
• Valid COMS certification from ACVREP
• Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s Degree optional in Orientation and Mobility
• Ability to instruct in safe usage of public transportation
• Working knowledge of orientation and travel skills for the adult population including adapted mobility devices and cane mobility
• Ability to work well with all levels of professional, managerial and office staff
• Knowledge of Grade One Braille
• Ability to communicate effectively with people from diverse backgrounds
• Interest in and willingness to work in a manufacturing environment