MSB is pleased to offer a sign on bonus of up to $5000 to any O&M Specialist that is hired by the school. Will discuss during the interview process with qualified candidates!
SUMMARY : With supervision, provides Orientation and Mobility services to children birth - 21 years of age and/or adult clients.
1. Evaluates, develops, implements, monitors and reports on student (IEP) on and off campus throughout the State of Maryland.
2. Conducts in-service training programs on individual and group basis and disseminates O&M information to others.
3. Acts as an active department member, sharing responsibilities and workload.
4. Participates in necessary school and student meetings and completes related paperwork, adhering to established deadlines, using proper punctuation, spelling and grammar.
5. Transports students in personal vehicle to training sites.
6. Stands and walks frequently, for lengthy periods of time; pushes and pulls in excess of 100 pounds and lifts up to 50 pounds without assistance; physically handles and assists other persons in the performance of daily living activities.
7. Speaks clearly and effectively with students, parents and colleagues.
Equipment Used: A variety of canes and adaptive mobility devices, a variety of low vision devices, iPad, smartphones & apps, recording systems, GPS devices, Braille writer, map making equipment, vehicle, keyboard/computer equipment.
Performance Standard: Must assume 100% commitment to collaborative, interdisciplinary service delivery model. Must assume 100% commitment to work with parents. Must also assure compliance with all health, safety, and program standards.
Work Environment: Multiple indoor and outdoor environments on and off campus with varying sound, lighting, and temperature conditions.
Work Schedule: 21 day/evening hours per week with a 30-minute unpaid lunch break; flextime within the workday is frequently required. Weekend or overnight hours may be required. This position follows the standard ten-month school schedule (with the additional requirement to cover summer programming, if needed). While this is part time hours, it is still benefits eligible with paid time off.
**Position may increase in hours up to 35 per week. Will be discussed during phone screen.
1. Requires a minimum of O&M Certification by a recognized University Program or Bachelor's Degree in O&M; is ACVREP certified or certifiable* in the field of Orientation & Mobility. (*ACVREP Certification must be obtained by the beginning of the 2nd year.)
2. Comprehensive knowledge of O&M techniques and teaching approaches and their application to the instruction of students with multiple disabilities and visual impairments/blindness.
3. General knowledge of anatomy and physiology of the eye including eye diseases and conditions.
4. Valid driver’s license and clean driving record required. Business insurance is required within first month of employment.
After six months in this position, the employee is required to have:
1. General knowledge and application of departmental responsibilities, philosophies, and expectations.
2. General knowledge and application of MSB related paperwork.
3. Comprehensive knowledge of assigned students' O&M program needs.
4. Certification in TCI and First Aid/CPR.
5. Ability to cope with problems in the focused area of responsibility, and to determine when to refer non-routine problems to supervisor.