The Lighthouse for the Blind & Low Vision currently has an opportunity for a Rehabilitation Engineer/Assistive Technology Specialist II. Under general supervision, the Rehabilitation Engineer / Assistive Technology Specialist II provides rehabilitation engineering, technical assistance, consultation, technology skills training and scripting of AT products to visually impaired clients and stakeholders.
This position is located in sunny Florida and will travel within the state of Florida (may occasionally travel nationally).
Key Responsibilities and Duties of this job include:
- Familiarization with current and legacy enterprise technologies
- Provide JAWS and NVD Scripting
- Provide assessments of active job sites, detailing requirements, accessibility barriers and recommendations for successful outcomes; provide assessments of individual user assistive technology needs
- Consult with employers to analyze accessibility issues and provide technical support as needed
- Following approval of job modification plan, purchase, deliver and install complete configuration, then provide consultation and training for recommended solution
- Work with customers to arrange for purchase of assistive technology and computer equipment as needed
- Perform Accessibility Audits to determine compliance with current WCAG and Section 508 standards and usability with AT products
- Maintain records and complete reports as required (note: extensive report writing required)
- Perform troubleshooting and repair on assistive technology hardware and software components
- If assigned, provide assistive technology training to individuals who are blind or have low vision
- Consult as needed with other team members on provision of accessibility solutions
- Evaluate new technology and make and make recommendations for improvements in the program
Lighthouse for the Blind & Low Vision is a non-profit agency providing on-site comprehensive rehabilitation programs for persons who are blind or visually impaired in Florida. Our training programs are designed to help individuals who have recently lost part or all of their vision to gain the skills needed to perform daily living tasks independently and maintain their employment. Rehabilitation Engineering Services are provided Statewide by Lighthouse Assistive Technology Specialists to help blind or visually impaired individuals maintain their existing employment through the use of assistive technology and devices.
The Lighthouse for the Blind & Low Vision is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and a Drug Free Workplace.
- Degree in Rehabilitation Engineering, Vocational Rehabilitation, Computer Science or related field preferred
- Ability to provide scripting in AT products such as JAWS and NVDA
- Ability to communicate effectively in verbal and written forms
- Knowledge of computer technology, job engineering, job placement and PC troubleshooting and repair skills
- Ability to teach both vocational and non-vocational clients
- Must have own reliable transportation and be willing to travel extensively in Florida.
- Prefer experience in vocational services with persons who are disabled
- Must be able to lift 40 lbs. of computer equipment for delivering and setting up workstations
- Must earn DBS Assistive Technology Endorsement and ACVREP Certified Assistive Technology Instructional Specialist for People with Visual Impairments (CATIS) certifications within two years of hire