Transition Specialist – Full-time Position (Lee County, Florida)
Lighthouse of Southwest Florida - 35 W. Mariana, North Ft. Myers, FL 33903
Seeking talented professionals who are passionate about empowering people with blindness and vision impairment to achieve their goals for independence. The Lighthouse of Southwest Florida is recruiting CVRT’s, COMS, and TVI’s, to join our team in sunny Fort Myers, Florida. Leave the snowflakes behind! Do what you love with a view of the Gulf of Mexico!
The Lighthouse has a full-time position for Transition Specialist to work with young adults ages 14 – 22 at our vision rehabilitation center.
• Oversee the transition program curriculum, referrals, intakes, and counseling for high school age students (ages 14-22).
• Create lesson plans, teach and facilitate group classes, individual sessions, and related program events that are designed to help the student move from school to post –secondary education, vocational education, and integrated employment.
• Accept and process referrals from Division of Blind Services.
• Conduct initial intakes and assessments with all new students as well as plan review and plan revisions for existing students.
• Develop curriculum-based modules to prepare the students for post-secondary education, vocational education or integrated employment.
• Schedule and coordinate group and individual sessions for the students in relation to their post high-school needs.
• Review and ensure program and curricula meet contract requirements.
• Through instruction, empower students to utilize skills in the following expanded core curriculum domains: assistive technology; career education; compensatory; independent living; recreation and leisure; orientation and mobility; self-determination; sensory efficiency; and social interaction.
• Work with all other instructors/program staff to ensure continuity of services.
• Coordinate with outside resources to enhance services for the students by providing opportunities for community integration, job shadowing, job readiness, job coaching and work experiences.
• Coordinate services in conjunction with the goals of the students’ IEP plans (via school) and IPE plans (via DBS).
• Coordinate and implement extended day, overnight and summer camp activities to best enhance the services for the student.
• Oversee budget expenses for Transition program, following agency policies and procedures for purchasing and expense control.
• Employee is required to appear for work at the office location, or at client locations as scheduled, during work hours.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Excellent inter-personal skills with ability to establish rapport and demonstrate empathy toward clients with visual impairment and other disabilities
• Detail-oriented and excellent organizational skills
• Ability to work independently and to multi-task under pressure with close attention to detail and accuracy
• Possess high level of honesty and confidentiality
• Professional maturity and judgment
Education and/or Experience:
• Minimum requirement of a Bachelor’s degree in Vision Rehabilitation, Psychology, Social Work or related field; Master’s degree in Vision Rehab or related field preferred.
• Two or more year’s experience in vision rehabilitation or related field preferred.
• Computer Skills (Microsoft Office)
Certificates, Licensures, Registrations:
• Certification in Orientation and Mobility, Teacher of Visually Impaired, Low Vision and/or Vision Rehabilitation required.
• Must maintain professional accreditations, licensing and/or continued education as required.
General Information and Benefits:
• Work schedule: 7:30 AM – 5:30 PM Mon – Thurs. Occasional weekends.
• Health insurance and 401(k)
• Paid vacation, sick and holidays
• Continuing education opportunities
Apply online at Indeed.com. No phone calls please.
Minimum requirement of a Bachelor's degree in Vision Rehabilitation, Psychology, Social Work or related field. Master's degree in Vision Rehab or related field preferred. Two or more year's experience in vision rehab,